Michael Wilkinson, an English man who came back to life after being pronounced dead for 30 minutes
- Michael Wilkinson is a 23-old man from Lancashire in England who was pronounced dead on February 1st, 2009.
- Michael was sent to the Royal Preston Hospital after collapsing after an evening of some drinking with his family, which triggered an undiagnosed heart condition.
- After being clinically dead for 30 minutes and given the last rites, the doctors realised that Michael’s pulse had return. He was alive another two days before being pronounced dead a second and final time on February 3rd.
- Michael Wilkinson was returned to life because he had a condition called Lazarus syndrome which means spontaneous return of circulation once attempts at bringing back to life have failed.
- Lazarus syndrome has only up to 38 recorded cases in the world and got its name after the biblical story of Lazarus being raised from the dead by Jesus. In other cases, the person with the syndrome has survived after being pronounced dead and even recovered fully.
- In 2007, an American woman named Judith Johnson was pronounced dead because of a cardiac arrest after indigestion and sent to the morgue. At the morgue, they discovered that Judith was still alive. Judith later sued the hospital and staff for the damages she now has as a supposed result of the medical care she received.
Sources and further reading:
Telegraph news article
Woman Declared Dead, Still Breathing in Morgue @ Foxnews